My Photo
Name:
Location: Vernon Hills, IL, United States

Thinker, dreamer, trying-to-figure-out life-er. I frequently attempt to paint a pink and sparkly picture on gloomy doomy blahs. I firmly believe that Life is Good. Even the unwelcome derailments offer blessings in disguise.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

1 Nephi 6-9

Sorry for the skip...I've been reading at moments in between interruptions. It's actually been pretty busy this week.
Chap 6. Interesting N's perspective on what to write compared to some of the other writers. Actually makes me kind of curious why Mormon would include the Book of Omni - any other reason besided just showing a chronological line of how they got from "there to here"?
Anyway....
Vs 4 gave me the little warm"chill" - he is persuading not forcing. I love God for that attitude. I hate being forced to do things. And what does it really mean to be saved. Many Christians talk about it and base their religion around it - but what does it really mean?
Chap 7. Must've been quite the talkers, these boys' of Lehi - in order to talk another family into abandoning life as they know it. And of course the credit was given to God for softening Ishmael's heart - it would've had to be to accomplish that. And we see that Ish has some kids of similar temperament to Lehi's - rebellious and obedient.
We've got N's miraculous escape from being tied up in Vs 18 - the first one of a few. Those bro's just didn't want to listen to N. They really had contempt for him. But they did listen to one of the daughters and the mother and one of the sons. They were pretty good talkers themselves. I wonder what words they could use to soften a hard heart? I need that kind of inspiration sometimes - but I think I get in the way too much for that. *sigh* Gee, they even prayed for forgiveness from God. Not surprising that N could easily forgive them. He loved his brothers.
Chap 8. Now why would N start this chapter out this way with gathering seed? Oh, yeah - because that's where Lehi had his vision of the Tree. Oh! Get it???? His vision was of the Tree of Life and the Fruit, while he was gathering seeds! I never noticed that before! I wonder if I could ever get some kind of vision like this to help me guide my children? And I really wonder if I could have a similar one to fill in what N left out? I guess if was pertinent to my life and those I'm in charge of Heavenly Father would allow me to see it too. Otherwise the words of his prophet will suffice. You know - the vision does read like dreams play out. It kind of skips where scenes just change - one group of people after another... in real life the flow would probably be happening all at once. Some people clinging to the rod, some getting lost, etc. In the dream form it really is easier to lay out the interpretation, too. Interesting how God uses dreams as a Tool for communication. Do you think it might be because we're more likely to accept the fantastical surrealism in dream form than if we just were wide awake and the Heaven's opened to show us this? Also, I'm remembering that the Jews held symbolism in high regard. So was Lehi and his family Jewish? I think they didn't describe themselves as Jewish because back then they were still very tied up in the tribes - the Jews were from the line of Judah. Lehi's line was from Joseph.....but this Joseph really wasn't one of the tribes, either - he was just descended from one of the lines as well. Okay - now I want to figure this out. Any scholars know about this? I'm sure the info is somewhere to find....
Vs 38. I wonder what the other prophecies were? How did L&L react? Must've been OK at this time because N didn't mention that they rebelled again.
Chap 9. A Command to write in his "journal". I think of "Whether by the mouth of my servantsor myself, it is the same" right here. WRITE! (That's a great thing about Blogs! Makes it so much easier to record your life! Hey! Remember the scripture that says and the works of men shall be shouted from the rooftops????? Our deeds are being revealed - but maybe just not our identities attached to them quite yet. Interesting! But I digress!)
Vs6. Again - N's faith to be guided because he just trusts the Lord implicitly. Complete comfidence in His guidance. If I could only be that faithful! I have faith and know that he lives and loves me, but I have a really hard time remembering to turn to God for guidance - I get too independent (another way of saying I have a lot of pride, I guess). I have a hard time understaninding my need for repentance and doing it too. I have work to do. I guess being aware of the need is really the first step, though, huh? I take a lot of first steps.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Found the answer about Lehi's lineage and how he is not considered a "Jew". Look up on lds.org and find the January 1991 issue of the Ensign. The article is entitled "Of the House of Israel" by Daniel H. Ludlow.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home