My Photo
Name:
Location: Vernon Hills, IL, United States

Thinker, dreamer, trying-to-figure-out life-er. I frequently attempt to paint a pink and sparkly picture on gloomy doomy blahs. I firmly believe that Life is Good. Even the unwelcome derailments offer blessings in disguise.

Monday, August 01, 2005

1 Nephi 1

Vs 1. He was an optimist - just glossed right over his trials and talked positvely about his blessings.
Vs 16. Why would he want to recap his father's writings? (Besides being inspired?) I think because the retelling helps explain where he's coming from and why he has done what he's done.
Vs 19. I feel like this happens to me in a modern way at times. When my husband is in his downward pendulum swing, he can be rather nasty to me (he's called me a "pretender" and said he had no interest in going to the temple if he was going to be stuck with me for eternity, etc. Yes, those are the bad moments) and has a rotten attitude about the church. I can't call him on it at all, because it gets twisted into how it's all my fault - so in a way I feel "mocked", too. I don't claim to be perfect, but I'm just trying to be better. Sometimes I too worn out to try anymore, oftentimes I allow him to push my buttons, I react so vocally and quickly that I say not nice things. No - very not perfect. Isn't that where forgiveness, tolerance, and charity need to come into play? I take comfort in "As ye judge, so shall ye be judged".
(Sorry for the side-track)
Vs. 20 Wow. His attitude strikes again. My father was kicked out, mocked, target practice for the Poopy People and Nephi will show us the Tender Mercies of the Lord.

I wonder if he wrote these accounts while he was going through them, or if he had time to let the wounds heal and gain his perspective again. I hope so - or else he's almost too awesome to be mortal... Can you keep this kind of attitude while you're going through these kinds of trials and call them blessings? Writitngs sure can leave out a lot!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home