My Photo
Name:
Location: Vernon Hills, IL, United States

Thinker, dreamer, trying-to-figure-out life-er. I frequently attempt to paint a pink and sparkly picture on gloomy doomy blahs. I firmly believe that Life is Good. Even the unwelcome derailments offer blessings in disguise.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

1Nephi 2

Vs2. Lehi must've been very practiced at recognizing when he's receiving directions as opposed to just thinking it was himself dreaming! Lots of Faith, too. I don't know that I'd've had the guts to move my family leaving all the worldly things behind because of a dream I had. Although I did have a dream one time, that I knew was a warning not to do something I was contemplating... and I did know that Heavenly Father was communicating with me. So maybe it was something like that.
Vs5. Intro to the fam! 4 boys old enough to get married, but none were. Interesting. Ya know - Lehi must've been pretty strong, too - he had enough energy to pack and walk and then set camp, and then build a whole altar out of stones. I'd've been too pooped! And he gave Thanks to boot!
Vs11. Very understandable for Laman & Lemuel to murmer - they just didn't get it. Makes me scared about my kids when they display such poopy attitudes sometimes. Heavy burden on parents to teach them how to be positive and faithful!
Vs13. Oo. Scarey. They were like the people who wanted to take their father's life? This shows that they were a little bit more off than just having bad attitudes.
Vs14. Way to go Dad! Chew 'em out for being such turkeys about the whole thing! Again, this shows that Lehi must've been a pretty strong dude for his oldest boys to fear him.
Vs15. Why would Nephi say this in the middle of talking about his problems with his boys? In a verse all by its very lonesome.
Vs 16. He thought himself exceedingly young. Wonder how old that is? 'Cause he still got married pretty soon from this. But I like how he just had a great desire to know. Ahh - see? He was struggling with it himself. He probably understood where his brothers were coming from, but maybe he didn't want to get his dad mad at him. So he just followed his dad's example maybe? But he still must've had quite a bit of faith (like Joseph Smith) to have received an appearance from the Lord. Maybe he also needed that strong of an answer in order to carry him through what he was going to be going through in his future.
Vs17. Sam & Nephi must've had a pretty good relationship for Nephi to talk to him in the first place - but also for Sam to believe him. Maybe Nephi was too strong-headed himself for him to believe in his brother's words had the situation been reversed. Sam seems to me to be a rather "soft" personality. Not a bad thing in my eyes. Probably a pretty sweet kid.
Vs18. The poops again. Ah, but Nephi's learning that his Heavenly Father is there for him. Got problems with the Sibs? Go to Heavenly Father. Why not the parentals? Hmm.
Vs19. Way to go, kid! Wonder how greatly this surprised him?
Vs23. I guess in those days you thought more about what was going to happen to your posterity than we do nowadays. We're pretty much a here-and-now society.
Vs24. Very interesting the way the Lord blesses and curses his children. Goes to show right here "Where much is given (received?), much is expected!" Good way to discipline children; "I'm gonna give you this, but because I do - you're going to have to do that! And I will expect you to get it done!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home